Monday, February 25, 2013

First free pattern

This is a pattern to make this Beach / Market bag.

 I created this bag when the pattern my Aunt had asked me to use wasn't working quite right. So I made up my own!  She loves it!  Here is a pic she sent me:
 
This is my first attempt at writing a pattern, so please bear with me!
 
Materials:
J hook (it really doesn't matter too much, I crochet tightly and wanted a more open bag, smaller hook = smaller openings)
1 skein worsted weight color of choice (I used Red Heart above)
measuring tape
yarn needle
scissors
 
Chain a length of about 25" add 3 chains after this length.
round 1:  Dc in 6th ch from hook. *ch 3, skip 3 ch, dc* repeat across making sure you end in the last ch space (may need to elongate/shorten a skipped space to make this work). Working along opposite side of beg ch *ch 3, skip 3 ch, dc*  repeat across until you reach the last 2-3 ch spaces. Ch 3
 
Round 2: Dc in first space made by the first 6 skipped chains.  *ch 3, dc in 3 ch space* around, ch 3.
 
Round 3-?: Dc in the next ch 3 space,   *ch 3, dc in 3 ch space*  repeat in rounds until the length is approx. 13 inches. do not fasten off
 
next round: Ch 3,  * 2 dc in next ch-3 loop; repeat from * around; join with a slip st to top of first dc.
 
Last Rnd: Ch 1, hdc in same space; hdc in next dc and in each dc around; join to top of first hdc. Fasten off and weave in ends.
 
Strap (Make 2): Make a chain 18" long.
Rnd 1 (Right Side): 2 Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch to last ch; 3 sc in last ch; working along opposite side of beg ch, sc in each ch to last ch; sc in same ch as first 2 sc; join with a sl st in first sc.
 
Rnd 2: Ch 1, hdc in same space, hdc in each sc around and work 2 hdc in each of the 3 sc at each end; join in top of first hdc.
 
Rnd 3: Slip st in each hdc around. Fasten off and weave in ends.
 
Sew approximately 1" of strap ends firmly to right side of bag 4" in from side edges as shown. Weave in ends.
 
I hope to make another bag like this soon, when I do, I will take pictures to add to this pattern!
 
If you don't crochet, I also sell this bag in my etsy store : https://www.etsy.com/listing/123542693/beach-or-market-bag-made-to-order
 
Toni
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment